The Learning Object Creator
An authoring tool for teachers to create online learning materials
The Learning Object Creator (LOC) Tool is a simple authoring tool for teachers, which has been specifically designed to enable teachers to create their own e-learning materials without the need for technical support.
It has been developed by the LLAS Centre, in collaboration with the University of Southampton eLanguages group, according to a tried and tested effective pedagogical design. It is available free of charge to colleagues in UK Higher Education Institutions for non-commercial educational purposes, and can be used for a range of subject areas.
After a successful phase of testing and development, LLAS is now delivering the LOC tool through workshops which provide training in the design of online learning material and in using the tool itself.
4 steps to easy online materials
The LOC tool integrates e-learning pedagogic methods and is easy to use.
- The LOC pedagogic template supports the creation of a well planned and effective learning activity.
- Offline planning enables you to focus on pedagogy rather than technology
- Save your plans online alongside your e-learning material
- Use our custom online tool to edit your learning object
- Your LO is stored online, so you can access it from anywhere in the world
- Include other files, references, youtube clips and more
- Publish your learning object for others in the community to review
- Get feedback from colleagues and users
- Once completed, you can publish your learning objects in many different ways
- Publish them online here for free, allowing anyone in the world to view
- Download your finished learning object as a ZIP file, which can be uploaded to any website or VLE system.
“The pedagogy behind the LOC helps to ensure best practice in materials design…Using the LOC has…increased my understanding of effective online learning material.”
Carole MacDiarmid, University of Glasgow