England is an interesting place. What do you know about those fun facts about it? I bet the more you know about England, the better you understand English. For this reason, it is meaningful that you engage yourself to know some fun facts about England.
In this activity you will be exposed to interesting facts about England. You will also identify some useful techniques for searching information online. By the end of this activity, you will be able to: 1. Gain a brief knowledge of England’s land and people 2. Be informed of some numbers related to fun facts about England
What do you know about land and people of England?
Read the following passage to complete the sentences: Write down your answers in the text boxes before checking the feedback
1.The highest temperature ever recorded in England was____ in Brogdale, Kent, on 10 August 2003.
2. England is_____ times smaller than the USA, _____times smaller than Australia and ______times smaller than Japan.
3. English people consume more tea per capita than anybody else in the world: times more than Japanese and times more than the Americans of the French.
What do you know about culture and language of England?
Read the following sentences and tick out the right answer before checking the feedback Write down your answers about the question before checking the feedback
1.Oxford University once had rules that specifically forbade students from bringing bows and arrows to class.
2. An official report of the European Union surveying universities in all member states ranked the University of London as the top performer in terms of publications and in terms of citations, and the University of Cambridge as top performers in terms of impact.
3. _________was the official language of England for about 300 years, from 1066 till 1362.
4.The world's largest second-hand book market can be found at __________.
5. The English class system is determined by ____________________.
6. _________ in England are in fact very exclusive and expensive (£13,500/year in average) .
7.Watch the videos and answer the following question: What are the five interesting facts about UK in your eye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COqrbx8IFW4 English fact
© Chen Zili; Zeng Jiang; Song Yanhua; Cui JingCreated using the LOC Tool, University of Southampton